Friday, October 8, 2010

This Shouldn't Be Shocking, but It Is...

So I'm listening to the Gopher hockey game on my way to a friends house this evening and heard UMass score a goal. It just happened to be their third goal of the evening and a Gopher player committed an infraction deserving of a penalty. Wally Shaver (play-by-play guy) proceeds to tell the unintelligent Glen "the Gophers do no wrong" Sonmor that he remembers reading somewhere that a team can score on a delayed penalty and it will still result in a power play. Well, this is a new rule in the WCHA this year. The part that really got me was when he commented on how he didn't know what league it was and that he thought it was the NHL. The genius Sonmor then pipes up with a classic, well I don't know. I never heard that. 30 seconds later the ref brought the Gopher player to the box and Wally says, "I guess it was college that they introduced that rule to."

Seriously!?! How stupid are you two? You are the radio broadcasters for one of the biggest programs in the nation and you can't keep up on the few rule changes that come through each year. This is why your fans are so stupid! You're being paid, what I'm sure is a hefty sum of money, to know these things and pass them on to the fans throughout the course of the game!